Carnatic Vocal 103
Student is introduced to Dhaatu varisais (alternate note patterns) and Melsthayi varisais (upper octave note patterns) in two ragams and in two speeds. Two geethams each in a different raga will be taught. This level enhances the capability of the student to handle different speeds and introduces new methods of voice culture. The student will learn about the various exercises in the higher octave and will be introduced to new ragas and tunes through the Geethams. Introduction of two new Janya ragas through the geethams, and using those ragams in Basic abhayasa exercises will be covered
Batch Size: 7
Duration: 12 weeks, two 60 mins lesson per week
Understand the concepts of speed and tempo in Carnatic music. Attain flexibility in voice and perfection of notes by singing higher and middle octave exercises.
Introduction of a different scale or Raga. The practical application of swaras in compositions like Geethams, and using the new scale to practice swara patterns helps in gaining more control over the new raga and also swara.
The theory offered in this course will give them an in depth knowledge about Ragas and the formation of the 72 scales with the help of permutation combination of the swarasthanas.
At the end of the course the student should be able to
– Decode swaras of 4 ragas shankarabharanam, mayamalavagowla, mohanam and shuddha saveri
– Sing notes of 4 ragas in 1 and half octaves
– Create swara patterns in 2 more ragas
The student should have completed CV101 and CV102 with Shankar Mahadevan Academy or should have knowledge of basics of Carnatic music. Sing Sarali and Janta Varisais in atleast two ragams along with Geethams and Nottuswaras.
- Dhaatu varisais in Shankarabharanam – 3 speeds
- Dhaatu varisais in Mayamalavagowla – 3 speeds
- Aakaram practise
Melsthayi varisais ( higher octave excercises )
- Melsthayi Varisais in Shankarabharanam – 3 speeds
- Melsthayi Varisais in Mayamalavagowla – 3 speeds
- Aakaram practise
- Vara veena
Sarali Varisais in different ragas
- Sarali Varisais in Mohanam
- Sarali varisais in Sudha Saveri
- Janaka Ragas and Janya Ragas
- 72 Melakartha scheme